Thursday, January 31, 2008

Liking Seclusion

I am almost afraid to say it, but I kinda like living out here at times...
It's wonderful to know that your neighbor probably doesn't feel like being nosy because they live out here themselves, and that there is plenty of wildlife - albeit not very friendly wildlife to keep you entertained. It's very serene out here with the mountains surrounding us and at night the Laughlin lights cast a glow over the western mountainside.
I've figured out what we need for two weeks groceries - a task that in Toledo seemed ridiculous - and we've stuck to it. I go into town about 3 days a week - church, play group and groceries maybe, and usually another outing of some type. It's quiet and there aren't cars driving around a lot. Wednesday is usually a day of running from dawn to dusk, and I'm always glad to relax on Thursdays.
Tempting to run to the city or malls - especially Las Vegas because they have almost anything you could need - except an Ikea. And when I compare a 2 hour drive to a 4 1/2 hour drive, it makes a decision much easier to make. In addition, the kids really like to play around the house and get upset when they have to go into town fr running errands.
I can really focus inward on our family and I feel like a better mom when I see how happy and content the kids are just 'being' in the house. An art I'm trying to learn much of the time.

I'm learning to appreciate the smaller and simpler things like the night sky, the sunrise and sunset and all the brown out here is becoming slightly green in my eye. And the area is slowly becoming a safe haven for my family. (that is, until hibernation ends for all reptiles, insects, and creepy crawlies out here)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes!!! Isn't it amazing how happy kids are just "being?" It really does help you slow down and unwind, and being secluded keeps you out of the spastic run... We really are better mommies when we're not trying to do other things at the same time! :-) Once we're better at it, we can slowly start to expand again, but it really helps to just disengage a bit & focus. Plus, you have playgroups to keep you in touch with other people, too! (And yep, the brown will keep "green-ing" up! ;-) I'm so happy that you're enjoying the winding-down!!!