Thursday, February 14, 2008

There She Blows!

Last night we had a serious sand storm. Not just the it's really windy kind, but an honest to goodness ''brown out''. The houses out here arent built for this kind of thing. I think tht's why nicer homes can cost less. There are gaps everywhere!!

Brian and I were out with the kids, but were lucky with our garage to pull right on in away from it. Or so we thought. We put the kids to bed, and then as were watching TV and doing homework, I hear the patio chairs being scooted across our back porch. We turned on the light just in time to see the cooler being scooted along with the chairs. I was just awaiting the familiar music from The Wizard of Oz, followed by a crazy lady on a bike flying by our window. After Brian stuck his face agaiinst the glass doors to see what he could, he turned to me, acting like he had sand in his mouth. I thought he was joking until I started tasting the dirt as well in my TEETH! Gritty dirt from just sitting on my couch- who would've ever figured? Anyways, the room started smelling so musty and I started coughing on the thickness of the air that we went to bed early.
This morning after all that blowing I had about 1/4 in. of dirt on my end table that sits next to the patio door. GROSS! Chloe has been amazed by how much fun tracing her finger in the dirt has been. The window sills and things next to them are covered in dirt/sand or whatever they call that stuff out here. I guess I'm grateful no rocks came in! Thanks for small miracles. This morning there is not much wind at all, everything was standing still. But, it's getting back to 'normal' and the winds are picking up again. That was just crazy! It did make me realize that I have no idea how the city rates those or if it is a 'natural occurance'.
I'm still glad it was not snow, though.

1 comment:

FloridaRichters said...

Took the words right out of my head....BETTER THAN SNOW!! We get love bugs during the winter...they stick to your car and if you don't scrape them off right away they ruin the paint on your car. And sometimes, when your driving, you hit a whole mess of them, and it's like it's raining bugs!! BUT, again, better than snow, any day!!!!