Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thinking Thoughts....

First thought - 'Who's line is that, anyways?'
Ok. So I wonder where kids learn things... by darn- I think my kids actually pay attention to me more than I do myself sometimes! Yesterday, Eva was telling me, "Gabe's just like, chillin' out." And if you know how her voice is just so teeny still, it's crazy hearing that from those lips. Then she says- which she's said before, but the combination of the two sayings has caused me to pause- "I was like freakin' out. Just freakin' out." Wow. Do I say that? Sometimes I think that they watch early 90's flicks all day to learn the lingo but I think they just listen to me. They are my socialization during 90% of the day-and they sure do get told to just "chill out" and to stop "freaking out" - but hearing it back makes me laugh soooo very hard.

Second thought- 'Talk before you act'
Find out the reason kids do crazy things before you jump to conclusions. I think I know all sometimes, because don't we all- but tonight as I 'assigned' Brian to go discipline the girls for shutting their bedroom door (that's a BIG no-no in our house) he walked in and I heard
B -"Who shut the door?"
Chloe- "I was just trying to be brave like you and mommy"
Frog in mouth moment. Dang.
Brian came out smiling ear to ear and bragging that he had gotten a huge smile and hug from Chloe. Sometimes I think he actually realizes just how much Chloe looks up to him - as her knight in shining armor kind of guy. Which brings me to a third thought:

Third Thought- 'It's scary raising these girls. It's scary raising boys... Parenting is risky business'.
If B compliments Chloe on something, she runs to tell me. It doesn't matter if I had just said the same thing. Daddy has now said it, and THAT is what counts. It warms my heart, but kinda stings at the same time to know that she doesn't look at me like that. I know it will bite me in the butt when she's a teen. I did the same thing when I was a teen. *whince* I see now how much B can have an impact on her self esteem, and it's scary because guys don't realize this will pattern her thoughts when she goes out to look for her "other half". But we can give all the self esteem in the world to her, and some idiot out there can undo it all of a sudden. I had a wonderful father, who I looked to for A LOT- might even say I wanted to be the apple of his eye. All to have an idiot take my esteem and crush it. B still deals with my 'baggage', should I say- poor guy. It's scary having little girls. I pray that they will listen to the prophets and be strong enough - strong enough for everything and that my boy will be strong enough to guide and protect his own family someday. We know it will only get rougher out there for our kids.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Those are very pertinent thoughts, indeed. :) Especially the part about raising little girls.

I can understand the sting of having mom's comments not seem to matter as much. In watching our girls, I have sometimes seen much of the same, and it's been tough. But on the other hand, in looking back at my own life, I can see how my mom's comments and actions had a longer-lasting impact on me deep inner self, maybe just not as blatantly noticeable as dad's. But I think the truer self comes largely from mom, and that's where I get the hope and motivation to keep doing what I'm doing with the girls. You're doing a good job. :)

Kirk said...

Sometimes we really get a chance to glimpse that "bigger picture". Must be why Pres. Hinckley emphasized that men treat women well -- better than they had done before -- And set a pattern for men to realize how vital they are to their kids -- especially daughters-- to hopefully bring that extra-special smile to their Daddy! Another thought: It talks about Mary "keeping all these things in her heart" -- hmmm