Thursday, September 4, 2008

There's Somethin' in the Water out West...

Have you ever seen the play Unspoken Song? It's freakin' amazing. I saw it - must be like 12 years ago at least, and I still remember the fun it was. Anyways, we just got our water bill with a semi-annual report of what IS in the water out here.
All I knew up to this point was that there were floaties in the water. If you get lots of ice and a straw it won't bother you. It didn't taste that off to me, but I'm no water QC person. I also knew that I watered my plants and the soil was turning orange (since we've been in the city), and my ice dispenser tray has the same familiar orangey film with a white thick film. I'd seen this white film in cups that you leave out all day and it makes a mineral-like ring around the inside of your cup. All that means is that you have to keep drinking. Oh-- and I knew that almost no one out here drinks water right from the tap. Ok... knowing that, we'll move on.
The report really shocked me, and now I teeter between buying the purified water and using what the city has prepared... Let me tell you that we're maxed out on like 3 different things, and chlorine actually wasn't one of them. Max levels of minerals, and something else that explained the red tint to the water remains. Then, the radioactivity levels were max but 'were being retested'. That makes you feel great, doesn't it? MAN! SOMETHIN' in the water out here, that's for DARN SURE!
I lost the stats, but I'll have to find them and post them in here, because it was just depressing. Although, I haven't paid much attention to any body elses' water other Rossford, Ohio.
Anyone else have wierd water?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, minerals are good! :-) Orange & white are just more minerals... iron, and something else, I believe. They're annoying, but not bad :-).

Radioactivity... well, if it helps, they put those max levels like, REALLY low. Like a teensy fraction of an x-ray. It's not like you're drinking heavy water ;-).

Our water has lots of minerals, too, and it's actually better for you than "purified" water. So no worries... :-)

The Arizona Richters said...

good thoughts. maybe i'll try to drink it with less 'yuck' in my head.lol. btw - thanks for the finger painting recipe- delicious, i'm sure!

jamie said...

dont tell me that jessica, i already knew it was bad i just didnt know how bad!